Monday, August 20, 2007

The First Day of School!

What a day! One of our students was so excited he could hardly eat his breakfast. Another was bouncing around the house, eager for the family picture before heading off to Vita Nova for the first time. Head of School, Melissa Perkins, felt a combination of excitement and nervousness as she started toward the school for the first day of class, but after praying with her family, she was ready to launch into the new adventure.

While the sky poured forth a deluge during most of the day, the students at Vita Nova nonetheless had a promising first day. They opened the morning with song and then began their lessons. A break in the weather allowed for a bit of play outside, and hungry tummies gobbled up the lunches packed carefully by moms and dads early in the morning.

As a board member and dad of one of the Vita Nova Knights, I was eager to see what was going on and managed to arrive at the school before dismissal. I saw backpacks hanging neatly from tiny chairs and books carefully arranged on the table before each seat. Miss Melissa was working with the children in another room, and when I peaked in I saw a group of eager faces beaming atop their navy Vita Nova shirts and khaki skirts and shorts. The energy was contagious, and I soon found myself in a rousing game of Duck-Duck-Goose!

The best news was that all the students were thoroughly enjoying their first day at Vita Nova and were eager to return tomorrow. I know I will be back, too.

No comments: